Welcome to The Underground
"I am proud that night after night and album after album, a mass of humanity I now refer to lovingly as the pop underground, come together and sing. Whether it's in theaters and concert venues around the world, in the privacy of our own homes or the constantly shifting landscape of social media, we are a scrappy tribe and we stand for something: Music that is found, shared and cared for despite access to traditional outlets; music that lives virally and through word of mouth; music that tells a story that people want to retell." - Andrew McMahon
Andrew's Twitter
Andrew's Instagram
Forums
The Pop Underground :: Forums :: Andrew's Blogs
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Home, pneumonia and the 4th of July (7-4-05)

Author Post
Toxic
Mon Sep 30 2013, 04:53pm Print View

After five and half weeks in the hospital I’ve finally made it home. It’s been a strange time for me. I’ve missed my normal life but I know this is what I have to do now. I wish I could write more to keep you all informed, but my energy simply hasn’t been the same. I caught pneumonia in my last week in the hospital. For me this has been the most difficult part of this whole process, because it’s the most medicated I’ve had to be. My blood counts finally turned around towards the end of last week and I was released from the hospital yesterday. I have been tired but my energy is coming back, and I’m thankful for this. I can’t believe the outpouring of support from everyone on these message boards and all of you who have sent cards and gifts. I am so lucky to have so many people praying for me and all the people surrounding me these past weeks can talk about is how amazing my fans are. Thank you all for sticking by me through this fight. As I get stronger I am looking forward to writing and recording more to take advantage of this time at home. I hope you all have a great fourth and enjoy the fireworks. I am so grateful to be home now and looking forward to relaxing and not being attached to any machines. Take care and I will be in touch.

Pabeek
Mon Sep 30 2013, 09:53pm

Desperate/funny story about this blog. Like I'm sure a lot of people were, my brother and I were obsessively checking Andrew's blog every day to see if there were any updates. Towards the end of June we were kinda worried because there hadn't been a blog in a few weeks. In retrospect, he was too busy you know, almost dying and having his body packed with ice, but obviously we didn't know that then. The first week of July we went to a friend's cabin, so the only internet access we had was at the bakery on the other side of this lake. On the 4th of July we couldn't take not knowing if there had been a blog update. We couldn't drive to the bakery because my brother's license had expired, so we decided to take a paddle boat across the lake. We ended up almost sinking it like 4 times , but we eventually got there around sunset. Lo and behold, this blog had been posted. And we then proceeded to paddle back across the lake with the fireworks going off.

And that's why this is one of my favorite blogs from that whole period
Toxic
Mon Sep 30 2013, 10:08pm

Tess that is an amazing story

I did the obsessive checking too. Alllllll summer, every day, sometimes multiple times a day. It was like a lifeline. I remember being terrified but also not comprehending so much that young. It still amazes me that he was so positive throughout and when you actually see the doc and everything he went through that we had no idea of.

It's so crazy to think back at how that blog was the only form of communication there was and now we have something as instant as twitter and instagram.
WhatStarsAre
Mon Sep 30 2013, 10:57pm
Registered Member #24
I love that story Tess!

I was studying abroad in London that summer and I remember there was no computer lab at the college (can you imagine?) so every morning I would grab breakfast at the cafeteria then go down the street to a little Internet cafe where you paid by the half hour to check the blog and Livejournal for news. I remember how elated I was to read this blog after such a long period of silence and yeah it is definitely crazy to think about just how much he downplayed what he was going through in these updates. He didn't want to worry us.

Moderators: Administrator, Toxic, Sarry, Pabeek

Jump:     Back to top