Welcome to The Underground
"I am proud that night after night and album after album, a mass of humanity I now refer to lovingly as the pop underground, come together and sing. Whether it's in theaters and concert venues around the world, in the privacy of our own homes or the constantly shifting landscape of social media, we are a scrappy tribe and we stand for something: Music that is found, shared and cared for despite access to traditional outlets; music that lives virally and through word of mouth; music that tells a story that people want to retell." - Andrew McMahon
Andrew's Twitter
Andrew's Instagram
Forums
The Pop Underground :: Forums :: Andrew's Blogs
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

And suddenly, everything had changed...again (6-6-05)

Author Post
Toxic
Mon Sep 30 2013, 04:54pm Print View

The statement I am about to make is not an easy one. As some of you may know I was hospitalized last Friday, upon receiving unsettling results to blood work taken by my doctor in New York City. I had visited him after canceling a show in New Jersey due to frequent and uncommon voice problems I was having on a recent tour with my new project, Jacks Mannequin. He decided upon seeing me that my pale complexion warranted some tests to be taken. A decision, which in retrospect, marks a substantial shift in the course of my life. I was admitted on Friday and spent the following days awaiting results of a bone marrow sample taken from my hip. This Wednesday my doctors officially diagnosed me with Acute Lymphatic Leukemia, otherwise known as (ALL). I know this news will be met with both shock and concern and want you all to be aware that this disease, though difficult, is highly treatable and completely cured in most cases. I feel extremely strong in spirit and I am ready to meet this head on and beat it. I am a natural born fighter with an immense amount of love and positive energy inside me. I am not only confident but I am certain I will come out of this a stronger human being with a greater understanding of life and my place in the world. Even as my words reach this page I feel the strength of my family, friends and those who will read this inspiring me as I make my way home to Los Angeles to undergo treatment. Rest assured the doctors we have assembled are the best in their field. My care will be both personal and on the cutting edge of Leukemia research. As for the release of the new Jacks Mannequin record, "Everything in Transit", my label has honored my wishes to hold to our intended august 9th release date. I believe music to be the greatest natural healer and it is important for me to share this collection of songs with you all as I embark on this unpredictable voyage. You are all in my heart. Be well and I will see you soon.

In lieu of flowers or gifts please make your way to your local blood banks, or send contributions to the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation at 9272 Jeronimo rd. suite 107A, Irvine CA 92618. For more information go to www.pcrf-kids.com

mckellogg
Mon Sep 30 2013, 05:11pm
Registered Member #43
No
Sarry
Mon Sep 30 2013, 05:12pm
Co-Owner

mckellogg wrote ...

No

Toxic
Mon Sep 30 2013, 05:16pm

</3
Sarry
Mon Sep 30 2013, 05:44pm
Co-Owner

I remember reading this when it was posted the first time and it tore my heart out then and still does now.
WhatStarsAre
Mon Sep 30 2013, 11:44pm
Registered Member #24
I remember being worried when I read this, but reassured by his "completely cured in most cases" line. Then I looked up the disease and the treatment options and the survival rates and that's when I bawled. We are so, so lucky to still have him.

Moderators: Administrator, Toxic, Sarry, Pabeek

Jump:     Back to top