Welcome to The Underground
"I am proud that night after night and album after album, a mass of humanity I now refer to lovingly as the pop underground, come together and sing. Whether it's in theaters and concert venues around the world, in the privacy of our own homes or the constantly shifting landscape of social media, we are a scrappy tribe and we stand for something: Music that is found, shared and cared for despite access to traditional outlets; music that lives virally and through word of mouth; music that tells a story that people want to retell." - Andrew McMahon
Andrew's Twitter
Andrew's Instagram
Forums
The Pop Underground :: Forums :: Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Favorite AM Quotes

Author Post
Toxic
Tue Oct 08 2013, 11:37am Print View

"I am proud that night after night and album after album, a mass of humanity I now refer to lovingly as the pop underground, come together and sing. Whether it's in theaters and concert venues around the world, in the privacy of our own homes or the constantly shifting landscape of social media, we are a scrappy tribe and we stand for something: Music that is found, shared and cared for despite access to traditional outlets; music that lives virally and through word of mouth; music that tells a story that people want to retell."

Post your fave quotes! Try to leave out lyrics as those can go in the other thread.
Sarry
Tue Oct 08 2013, 11:52am
Co-Owner

YES I LOVE THIS THREAD. If I wasn't on my phone at work I'd be dominating this thread right now.
Pabeek
Tue Oct 08 2013, 03:17pm

"It takes brave people to stand up in times of oppression, knowing that persecution awaits on the other end"

"I met a woman on an airplane today. She was the youngest person over 80 I have ever known. We spoke for a couple of hours and when it was through she told me she loved me and that I should see a shrink."

"It's always strange to read the things you've hoped for in the past because by now those hopes may be spoken for or gone, transformed or altogether forgotten. Like time, hope can be so senseless. It can carry us up mountains or lie us in the quicksand. But like time, hope is unstoppable, inevitable, and blind. Sometimes we travel fast, hurdling towards the unknown, sometimes the unknown comes hurdling towards us while we watch time standing still."

"We live in a time so confused by the messages fed to us by our television sets and computer screens, that we so often lose sight of what is real. We live in a nation divided by our allegiances to politicians who often care nothing for us as individuals unless we've lined their pockets and bought the advertisements that lead to their election. Still though, for all our differences, we are simply people and the thread running through all of us is so very much the same. Where we are raised and what we see as children inform our futures in ways that leave some of us so lucky and others so wounded. The things we are told and the things we see as we're pulled from the ground like flowers, broken and beautiful, are so often are the things we become. Still what most of us seem to be searching for is love; this complex connection to another strange traveler. A wind that wakes us in the gloaming as the sun fades behind the hills and reminds us that some nights aren't meant to be slept through. To know another is to know a universe of others, and as I smolder here alone the words could not leave my fingertips fast enough. Sometimes a soul must wander to truly know it is home."
Sarry
Tue Oct 08 2013, 06:36pm
Co-Owner

"I've learned that life isn't necessarily easy, but it's always worth figuring out. That, if nothing else, has had the most profound effect on my learning that sometimes your circumstances suck, but life doesn't."

"With each new day it becomes more apparent to me that everything and everyone in this world is connected in some beautiful and inexplicable way, and the more I accept that, the more my world seems to come together."

"Such is the stuff of trauma and loss. No recovery is full. At some point though, a wound will become a scar and then mysteriously that scar will become another tack on a map reminding you of where you've been. I think I've said that before. I guess some things are worth saying again. And some places no matter how far away, no matter how unlikely or broken, will always feel like home to me."
Sarry
Tue Oct 08 2013, 06:37pm
Co-Owner

"You don’t have to push or pull or fight or win, the struggle is illusory. Sometimes or rather, all times, you just have to be."
Toxic
Tue Oct 08 2013, 08:24pm

"I am a deconstructionist; Perhaps not in the classic sense, but in some sense if ever there was any. I dream of the architecture, but my capacity to maintain it is fatal."
Toxic
Tue Oct 08 2013, 08:37pm

'Curiosity, I should think is a good thing, both in a new year and on a Monday morning. It is from this place where I wonder if everything I have been doing has already been done. How often does anyone really stand up and ask the hard questions? “Is this where I should be? Am I inspired? Do I do what I do because I need to, want to and love to, or because I don’t know what else to do? And where would I begin even if I should?”'
Toxic
Tue Oct 08 2013, 08:45pm

"The unknown for now will remain as such and in this moment that feeling is not one of suspension. It is the hopeful unknown. Reaching into the future could only be good now as the past is wrapping itself in ribbons and pleasant packing paper, rarely to be revisited. These years of heaven and hell in the belly of mortality's wait. This fierce time of self-doubt and confidence cracked. The vice/void solutions and dissolution of honor. Tracking along some dirt path to a forest of dead things where clearly I missed the 'no outlet' sign upon entry. All of this and somehow I have returned in a step-retrace for the record books. Fear is failing me now."
Toxic
Tue Oct 08 2013, 08:53pm

"At night when the show is through and most people are asleep we travel the highways, usually I sleep too, but some nights I sit shotgun, rarely having the slightest idea where I am. You'd think by now I'd know the lay of this great land but I prefer the not knowing. It's like I'm constantly stealing away, leaving the past in some unknown city, leaning forward, hope stretching out on the dark horizon. Yes, you can get lost out here and sometimes I do. In all honesty, this life I’ve chosen has stranded me more times than I care to admit, but it’s that push and pull; the moment where all is forgotten and a stage is pure music…that’s why we do this. That’s why my home is people not places and why I lean on the horizon like a dying man with one last thing to see."
Toxic
Tue Oct 08 2013, 08:55pm

"When the signing was through the rain had died down, but we past stage after shut down stage. The park was a ghost town. An hour before it was teaming with tens of thousands and now it was just an abandoned carnival. As the car pulled around I got a clearer view of the stage we were set to headline and what I saw was something I'll remember forever. People. Not just a few, a thousand or more who didn't move an inch in the face of an unrelenting storm."
Toxic
Tue Oct 08 2013, 09:01pm

"I realized that a new year really gives people hope. For a second it felt like a civilization was waking in the face of my brutal year. Who knows if they'll keep on returning to the harbor as the Sundays pass through this New Year, but I hope they do. Today I felt like a part of something awesome, the human race. I know it can be ugly; it really is in so many ways. But today there was nothing ugly to see, just people trying to be better. And maybe that’s the key. Not resolutions and forgotten promises, but instead a commitment to do this year a little better than the last."
Toxic
Wed Oct 09 2013, 12:12am

"The riff-raff along with everyone else on this plane, (the whole world, really) myself included, seem to have one thing in common; were just a crowd of people who don’t really fit in anywhere attempting to convince one another that we do. I guess I’ll put my sunglasses on (it’s perfectly sunless where I am) and pretend, like everyone else, that I too belong up here."
Toxic
Wed Oct 09 2013, 01:51am

"I think in that sense it's sort of appropriate because you can't control what goes on around you, you can't. But for me, those are staples of those moments, that crazy moment where you think you're indestructible, that moment where you find out you're not, and that moment where all of a sudden you go, 'Okay, I'm not indestructible, but I'm going to be okay.' And I think in a lot of ways 'People and Things' was that. It was like, look, you have this life, we all have these lives we live, but it takes a bit of learning before you realize not every drama is going to kill you and not every hard day has to lead to another one. And that maybe you wake up one day and you say 'I'm okay. I'm alright. And I'll be fine.'"
DearJacq
Tue Sep 09 2014, 01:57am
Registered Member #47
Sarry wrote ...

"You don’t have to push or pull or fight or win, the struggle is illusory. Sometimes or rather, all times, you just have to be."

What is this from? I'm liking it...
Toxic
Tue Sep 09 2014, 02:07am

DearJacq wrote ...

Sarry wrote ...

What is this from? I'm liking it...

This blog.

Moderators: Administrator, Toxic, Sarry, Pabeek

Jump:     Back to top