Welcome to The Underground
"I am proud that night after night and album after album, a mass of humanity I now refer to lovingly as the pop underground, come together and sing. Whether it's in theaters and concert venues around the world, in the privacy of our own homes or the constantly shifting landscape of social media, we are a scrappy tribe and we stand for something: Music that is found, shared and cared for despite access to traditional outlets; music that lives virally and through word of mouth; music that tells a story that people want to retell." - Andrew McMahon
Andrew's Twitter
Andrew's Instagram
Forums
The Pop Underground :: Forums :: Andrew's Blogs
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Life is too unpredictable not to take a minute to celebrate the victories along the way (5-14-15)

Author Post
Toxic
Fri Oct 16 2015, 06:15pm Print View

Life is too unpredictable not to take a minute to celebrate the victories along the way

May 14, 2015

I spent the first half of this week debating whether or not to write these words and now that the shock is wearing off, here they are. On Sunday afternoon I heard the news that Cecilia and the Satellite had gone top ten at Alternative radio. It’s hard to explain what this means to me. I’ve been so blessed to build an audience despite a lack of airplay. If you’re reading this you are likely a member of that audience. I think what makes this victory so sweet though is that it is without question a testament to you. No doubt I’ve had an incredible team behind me as I ventured into the wilderness, but this celebration is bigger than them or me. It belongs to those of you who have been listening. Who despite the name changes and sonic adventures have continued to believe in my music. There is no question that your passion has been felt by the stations supporting this song. Every time I meet a DJ or program director they share stories of their interactions with my fans and I don’t doubt for a second the effect this has had on the success of the record thus far. I understand if some of you are cynical about radio, but I grew up on it. For me the notion of crafting a song to see it grow into a hit is something I’ve dreamed about since first writing songs as a 9 year old in my parents living room. Who knows where this road will lead me. There are lots of great songs out there and memories are short. In another life I would have held my tongue for fear this read like a brag. I assure you though I’m humbled by this news. Life is too unpredictable not to take a minute to celebrate the victories along the way. Wherever this song or this music takes me I’m so glad it’s taken me here. This project was born of the idea that something I’ve done for years could be new and exciting; that there were paths I had yet to travel and places still to see. I am a seeker by nature but my mission largely remains same. Write the best music I can and share it with anyone who will listen. It’s good to know you’re out there.

A

Moderators: Administrator, Toxic, Sarry, Pabeek

Jump:     Back to top