Welcome to The Underground
"I am proud that night after night and album after album, a mass of humanity I now refer to lovingly as the pop underground, come together and sing. Whether it's in theaters and concert venues around the world, in the privacy of our own homes or the constantly shifting landscape of social media, we are a scrappy tribe and we stand for something: Music that is found, shared and cared for despite access to traditional outlets; music that lives virally and through word of mouth; music that tells a story that people want to retell." - Andrew McMahon
Andrew's Twitter
Andrew's Instagram
Forums
The Pop Underground :: Forums :: Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

AMITW: Halls

Go to page  [1] 2
Author Post
Jeffro
Sun Sep 28 2014, 10:15am Print View
Registered Member #38
It should get its own thread, no? Probably my favorite so far.

...for the rain (waiting for the phone to ring?)
Tucson, Arizona
checked in to the Congress Hotel
met the band in a bar next to the lobby
lookin for another story I could tell

when I left home we were headed for the altar
and I told you I'd be back before too long
cut my hair and I found me a new girlfriend
thought a broken heart could write a perfect song
and it did and I was right...(Don't Know)

you echo in the halls
I feel your shadow on this empty stage
I hear your music through the walls
I see your pictures on a blank page
you echo in the halls

played the show, left another message
left a ticket for tomorrow in Tempe
fill it in (?), doing cartwheels down the hallway
I've been drinking since the day I set you free
but in this airport bar you're way away from me

you echo in the halls
you echo in the halls

halls

you echo in the halls
I see your picture on the blank page
you echo in the halls
I see your pictures on the blank page
you echo in the halls
eit
Sun Sep 28 2014, 12:07pm
Registered Member #10805
I *think* the line after "and it did and you were right" could be "and now you're gone" but I'm not sure.

This feels SO EXCELLENTLY EIT to me. I'm not sure if it's the music (well I didn't listen to it all) or the subject matter or WHAT.

I also think it might be "but on this airport [something] will you wait for me?"
Shanoahphotos
Fri Oct 03 2014, 12:00am
Registered Member #10811
i think this could be my favorite song !! can't wait to hear the studio version
DearJacq
Fri Oct 03 2014, 02:25am
Registered Member #47
Favorite.
DearJacq
Fri Oct 03 2014, 10:28pm
Registered Member #47
I think the line after Tempe is "It's 3am, I'm doing cartwheels down the hallway."

I agree with Julia. This song screams EIT.
eit
Fri Oct 03 2014, 11:59pm
Registered Member #10805
This song is my favourite and we don't even have a studio version. I've listened to it maybe 3-5 times and it's actually the only song really testing my resolution not to listen to any of the album songs again before the album comes out (stopped listening to any of them on Oct 1st).

I REALLY hope there are more songs like this one.
eit
Mon Oct 06 2014, 12:31pm
Registered Member #10805
Jeffro wrote ...

It should get its own thread, no? Probably my favorite so far.

Pouring rain in Tucson, Arizona
Checked in to the Congress Hotel
met the band in a bar next to the lobby
lookin for another story I could tell

when I left town we were headed for the altar
and it did and I was right so now you're gone

you echo in the halls
you echo in the halls

played the show, left another message
book a ticket for tomorrow in Tempe
3 am, doing cartwheels down the hallway
I've been drinking since the day I set you free
but on this airport morning, will you wait for me?

you echo in the halls
you echo in the halls

halls

you echo in the halls
you echo in the halls
you echo in the halls

Edited slightly for studio.

THIS IS LIKE THE BEST SONG EVER. I'ms orry. It's amazing. I just listened to it hard core high in my class (before class started) with headphones obvi.
SwimInTheCaves
Mon Oct 06 2014, 02:28pm
Registered Member #48
Love this song so much. The only thing that bothers me is the "oh" in the chorus. It sounds just like that matt nathanson song.. "you make my heart BEAT.. faster" the harmonies and everything on it are identical to the word "beat" in that song. That's the only thing I can't get past! Lol
Jeffro
Mon Oct 06 2014, 05:37pm
Registered Member #38
Easily in my top two, and on this album, that's saying something.
Jeffro
Mon Oct 06 2014, 05:58pm
Registered Member #38
...on this airport morning, I think.
Toxic
Tue Oct 07 2014, 10:40am

The sound of this one surprised me! I love it
SkyDemon96
Tue Oct 07 2014, 10:46am
Registered Member #11120
i love this song! i cant wait to hear it live
WhatStarsAre
Tue Oct 07 2014, 11:04am
Registered Member #24
SkyDemon96 wrote ...

i love this song! i cant wait to hear it live

I just came to post that very thing! Can't wait to jam to this one!
SwimInTheCaves
Sat Oct 11 2014, 10:08am
Registered Member #48
This is an interesting perspective (and perhaps incorrect) but I'll share anyway haha..

When I was listening to this song yesterday as soon as that second half of the first verse ended I immediately thought of "Konstantine."

"when I left home we were headed for the altar
and it did and I was right so now you're gone"

You know, his first true love.. thought they'd get married, broke her heart, wrote the 'perfect' song (konstantine) and now she's gone and he's got a new girl.. ironically he did cut his hair as well after that era

Just the way I interpreted it in the moment. Comments welcome. I think it's an interesting view... maybe not accurate but certainly a coincidence at the least!
eit
Sat Oct 11 2014, 11:32am
Registered Member #10805
I thought it was referring to EIT which is widely seen as his best record (ok I'm assuming that - maybe by his fans only lol). It definitely felt EIT time to me, like the new gf was Miss Delaney.

Personally, I don't think Andrew would consider Konstantine to be a perfect song or written for his first true love (I mean maybe! I have zero clue besides what he had said in interviews). It just seems like he doesn't really like/get the Konstantine love... So I don't think he thinks it's perf? But again, I have no "real" idea lol just what I picture when listening.

Toxic
Sat Oct 11 2014, 11:49am

Interesting. My thought is that it's in reference to the EIT period, after all the things he's said about the album inspiration. Makes me think of 21& Invincible with the "altar" line.
WhatStarsAre
Sat Oct 11 2014, 11:55am
Registered Member #24
Yeah, I think it's definitely about Kelly and the EIT era, given everything we know about the course of their relationship.

Semi-related: I think it's kind of fun that the most popular and successful song from that record is Dark Blue and that's the one he wrote when they were getting back together. She really is his greatest muse. Well, her and Cecilia!
Sarry
Sat Oct 11 2014, 01:41pm
Co-Owner

Quickly becoming a favorite on the album!
Ryan
Sun Oct 12 2014, 07:18pm
Registered Member #6751
SwimInTheCaves wrote ...

This is an interesting perspective (and perhaps incorrect) but I'll share anyway haha..

When I was listening to this song yesterday as soon as that second half of the first verse ended I immediately thought of "Konstantine."

You know, his first true love.. thought they'd get married, broke her heart, wrote the 'perfect' song (konstantine) and now she's gone and he's got a new girl.. ironically he did cut his hair as well after that era

Just the way I interpreted it in the moment. Comments welcome. I think it's an interesting view... maybe not accurate but certainly a coincidence at the least!

This is actually exactly how I interpreted these lyrics. But who knows. The "now your gone" part is the main reason I don't think it was about Kelly. He probably had other girlfriends though. Konstantine is just such an intimate song, I think it makes sense with these lyrics.

I also think the only reason he "didn't like" Konstantine wasn't that he didn't think it was a good song, but rather people would pester him to play a long SoCo song during every Jack's show.
Sarry
Sun Oct 12 2014, 07:25pm
Co-Owner

This one is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Can't wait to hear it live.
Jeffro
Sun Oct 12 2014, 07:48pm
Registered Member #38
SwimInTheCaves wrote ...

There's about ten years unaccounted for in there.
WhatStarsAre
Mon Oct 13 2014, 01:17am
Registered Member #24
It's not about the Konstantine girl. He has said for years that they didn't have much in common and he shouldn't have dated her for as long as he did. I don't think he's still haunted by that relationship.

As far as "now you're gone" goes, not all of these songs are written about the present moment. Kelly moved out of California in the period of time they were separated, so she was quite literally gone for a while. It's possible it's about someone else but I really think it's about her. I guess we'll see of he gives us any hints in his between-song chatter.
SwimInTheCaves
Mon Oct 13 2014, 02:14am
Registered Member #48
Well the "found me a new girlfriend" "so now you're gone" is obviously referring to two different girls. I think of the line as more reflective in a regretful kind of way than anything. Like it may have written the "perfect song" but maybe it wasn't worth trading the girl for a song..

I'm not trying to say it was about the Konstantine girl.. I just mean it's an interesting coincidence. And "perfect song" doesn't have to mean Andrew thinks it's his best song. When relating it to Konstantine I was thinking of it as how he may have gotten what many people consider an 'important' song out of it, but it may not have been worth throwing away the relationship.. or the opposite: breaking the girls heart but getting a good song out of it so it was ok. haha

Andrew doesn't hate Konstantine either. At a show a couple years ago he said he loves the song, always has.. but was afraid to play it cause then he'd have to every night.

An old quote: "I think we kind of felt this song was sacred in a sense by the way it had been treated by our fans.." (so in regards to that, it would make sense as the 'perfect song.' doesn't have to be taken so literally as in it's his perfect song..)

On a random side note I've always thought it was strange that when he started playing it live again he added the lyrics "I'll ALWAYS miss you.." a lot. Lol
mootheloon
Mon Oct 13 2014, 11:32am
Registered Member #26
Oh it's gotta be about Kelly...the whole EIT thing, and then he did the faux hawk from the blonde mop...and he was always hung up on her so of course she would haunt him...

Then again, it would be a period of his life, obvi not talking about current situation. So in that regard, if we're talking snapshot of his timeline, it could very well be about anyone.
Sarry
Mon Oct 13 2014, 11:40am
Co-Owner

I think I'm the only one who doesn't analyze his songs because I'm over here like GUYS THIS SONG IS SO GOOD. Then I come here to intense discussion over every possibility of who it might be about and I'm just like oh right he probably wrote this for a purpose other than just my entertainment.
eit
Mon Oct 13 2014, 12:00pm
Registered Member #10805
Sometimes Andrew songs remind me of Taylor Swift songs. NOT musically lol but just in the sense that they're often quite autobiographical and the fans kind of like thinking into things a lot? Guessing who something is about. Not to the extent of TSwifts fans, but similar. Lol.
Toxic
Mon Oct 13 2014, 01:53pm

This sounds like a SoCo song to me in the choruses and verses a bit
WhatStarsAre
Mon Oct 13 2014, 05:12pm
Registered Member #24
Haha well he has kind of brought the analysis on himself by using so many proper nouns in his past songs! And poor Arin Delaney's entire name. He also talks about the people he wrote the songs about a lot live but it's always kind of cryptic so I think it's kind of fun to try to figure out!
mootheloon
Mon Oct 13 2014, 06:07pm
Registered Member #26
Yeah I actually don't analyze his songs and think what they could be about...I just allow them to create pictures in my mind, as they usually do. This discussion just caught my eye.
Pabeek
Mon Oct 13 2014, 08:06pm

I've been interpreting the "perfect song" as The Mixed Tape or Dark Blue, given that both of those were breakthroughs for him. The whole "now you're gone" thing being about Kelly makes sense to me, because even though he had written this record filled with "perfect songs," they only came into existence because she left. I feel like he probably originally wrote this right after Transit and just sat on it for years...
Go to page  [1] 2

Moderators: Administrator, Toxic, Sarry, Pabeek

Jump:     Back to top