Welcome to The Underground
"I am proud that night after night and album after album, a mass of humanity I now refer to lovingly as the pop underground, come together and sing. Whether it's in theaters and concert venues around the world, in the privacy of our own homes or the constantly shifting landscape of social media, we are a scrappy tribe and we stand for something: Music that is found, shared and cared for despite access to traditional outlets; music that lives virally and through word of mouth; music that tells a story that people want to retell." - Andrew McMahon
Andrew's Twitter
Andrew's Instagram
Forums
The Pop Underground :: Forums :: Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

AMITW: Halls

Go to page  1 [2]
Author Post
mckellogg
Mon Oct 13 2014, 08:29pm
Registered Member #43
Nevermind my emoji thing didn't work
Toxic
Mon Oct 13 2014, 08:40pm

I wish emojis worked here lol I'm sorry we're not that advanced
SwimInTheCaves
Mon Oct 13 2014, 11:24pm
Registered Member #48
Pabeek wrote ...

I've been interpreting the "perfect song" as The Mixed Tape or Dark Blue, given that both of those were breakthroughs for him. The whole "now you're gone" thing being about Kelly makes sense to me, because even though he had written this record filled with "perfect songs," they only came into existence because she left. I feel like he probably originally wrote this right after Transit and just sat on it for years...

Fair enough. Just giving food for thought.. it's interesting stuff. I mean it is for me at least.. as a songwriter/lyricist. I don't doubt it's about Kelly but there's a reference to another girl in there as well.. like moving onto her (or moving on from her) to "another girlfriend."

We probably will never know. I don't know if he wrote it back then.. I feel like a lot of his songs are snapshots of the past. And I really love that because there's always something so nostalgic about them.. even musically.
SwimInTheCaves
Mon Oct 13 2014, 11:26pm
Registered Member #48
mootheloon wrote ...

Yeah I actually don't analyze his songs and think what they could be about...I just allow them to create pictures in my mind, as they usually do. This discussion just caught my eye.

Haha I mean that's what I do too.. I don't typically sit down and read the lyrics trying to figure out what they're about in a case like this. I had a 2+ hour train ride home from school and put on my headphones and just listened to every single word and every single thing possible in these songs. And after listening to the whole thing front to back I definitely feel this is in my top 2 of his albums.
eit
Mon Oct 13 2014, 11:35pm
Registered Member #10805
I didn't mean to suggest analyzing was bad, at all. I enjoy it. I was just thinking about the similarities, mostly because the other album I'm looking forward to is TSwift's new album lol and the amount of speculation there is crazy.

I actually really liked this song BECAUSE it seemed to hearken back to EIT era and in the end while I still love it, I almost love his new sound more? I don't miss EIT sound anymore because I love this new sound.
mootheloon
Tue Oct 14 2014, 02:45pm
Registered Member #26
OMG IT'S BRILLIANT THOUGH... the whole album is he has really done a fantabulous job.
Ryan
Tue Oct 14 2014, 04:49pm
Registered Member #6751
mootheloon wrote ...

fantabulous

mootheloon
Wed Oct 15 2014, 11:16am
Registered Member #26
Go to page  1 [2]

Moderators: Administrator, Toxic, Sarry, Pabeek

Jump:     Back to top